Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stardock Plans "At Least" Two Game Announcements

This document (Adobe Acrobat format) offers Stardock's 2012 Consumer Report, an annual look behind the curtain at the company's business, offered as a goodwill gesture, since they are not publically traded and thus not subject to quarterly public financial reports. They outline a very successful year, noting this was spurred by them releasing three titles when they would typically release one. They then proceed to indicate they plan on announcing "at least" two games this year and also announce that Derek Paxton is now in charge of their development studio:

I suspect we will have at least, two new game announcements in 2013.

We have continued to follow-up on bringing in top-tier game designers to evaluate, tweak and enhance future titles. This process started with Derek “Kael” Paxton who developed the popular Civilization IV mod “Fall from Heaven”. His work has been transformative both in terms of how games get designed here but in how they get produced. As a result, I’m pleased to announce that Derek Paxton is VP of Stardock Entertainment and in charge of the studio.

After Derek Paxton joined us, Jon Shafer joined us to help on Fallen Enchantress and help design an unannounced game. After Fallen Enchantress was completed, he founded his own company (Conifer) to work on a new strategy game called At the Gates.

This year, with the “next generation” of Stardock games in pre-production, we’ve brought Soren Johnson (designer of Civilization IV) to work on the designs for our new titles for the next few months. The emphasis on dedicated game design has resulted in greater confidence that new franchises will not have to go through the rocky experience that Elemental: War of Magic went through.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

50. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 11, 2013, 17:12 Falaffel

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 14:33:

Nah, you are using hyperbole and misrepresenting what I said. If a developers personal dramarama keeps following them around like a stink, yes I suggest getting a professional to do that aspect for them or better yet just ignore it entirely and promote the work. There are many devs who are capable of separating work and personal matters, deal with the public well and that don't need it but obviously there are some that do. I don't know much or particularly care about brad personally so *shrug* to that.

I think you meant the gamers bill of rights by the way and it was a puff piece that was never realistic, I don't really begrudge them for not following through on it. Even if they wanted to the industry at large won't cooperate on many of those things.

Drama or no drama, Brad brings insights and information that would otherwise be unavailable to us. How many Studio CEOs posts on blue? If blue posters would focus on the news at hand instead of old news, the drama would be less dramatic.

I think the written document was genuine when created but fell for what i guess would be called "business realities". The demands of backers for kickstarter shows that the ideas are still in demand. One can just wish that Stardock start abiding by them again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo