Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Gamer Horizon - In Defense of Tomb Raider.
While I can understand the disappointment regarding how the game is not like the Tomb Raider of yesteryear, allow me to put it into some perspective. In 2005, a relatively unknown director with 2 indie films and one moderately successful remake undertook a reboot for a once popular and successful franchise. The reboot was a critical and commercial success, so much so that most people see them as the definitive version of the franchise. The filmmaker was Christopher Nolan and the film was Batman Begins. Hard to believe, but there are still people who prefer Tim Burtonís version.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

15. Re: Op Ed Apr 4, 2013, 17:47 N2NOther

Prez wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 17:39:
How can it be called "TOMB Raider" if by the author's own admission there are "very few traditional tombs" in the game? The puzzles and the exploration were the best thing about the Tomb Raider series; the combat has always been dreadful and by far the worst aspect of every game. So how am I supposed to feel about a "Tomb Raider" game that is combat-focused? Again I ask, how is that "Tomb Raider"?

To use the author's goofy comparison, it's the same as if the Chris Nolan Batman remake turned Batman into an flighty, disinterested old man who bumbled about solving crimes through keen eyes and deduction, Sherlock Holmes style. While it is definitely a good game in its own right, the new game ignores the basic theme of what made Tomb Raider "Tomb Raider". I'll never understand the need to "re-imagine" the most iconic franchises in gaming to the extent that they are virtually unrecognizable to older fans.

First of all thank you for reading!

Again, I need to reiterate that I am a huge fan of the series having played and enjoyed all of the console games. I completely understand your disappointment but as an older fan, I recognize Tomb Raider in the game. I am assuming you've played the game, and as such, you know that by the end, the seeds were very much planted for the series to return to a more traditional adventure while having made the combat much more enjoyable.

I wouldn't say the game is combat focused by any means though. Sure, there is more combat than in previous games but there is far more exploration and platforming than combat in the game. And like I said in the piece, I hope next time around Crystal D can bridge the gap a bit more with making more complex puzzles.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo