Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Saint Patrick's Day! My presumption stands that the major partying associated with the occasion was last night, but I'm sure there are some that will be going at it tonight, and probably a surprising number who started last night and are still going. Hope you had a fine old time, and everyone stays safe.

Leprechaun Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Sticky Blobs.
Links: Russia's Newest Folk Hero Is A Car-Crushing Bus Driver. Thanks brother19.
Media: Backyard Rollercoaster. Thanks reddit.
How to pick your nose on national TV.
The Funnies: FoxTrot.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2013, 16:38 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 16:22:
Any word on why the site has been experiencing large amounts of downtime?

From yesterday's Out of the Blue:

Frans wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 14:45:
We know the site hiccups are caused by MySQL locking up, which in turn causes all Apache processes to eventually get tied up, waiting for queries to complete, and making the site unresponsive.

I've spent many an hour trying to figure out why MySQL locks up, obviously without success, so in recent months Blue and I simply resorted to restarting Apache & MySQL. Because we aren't always around, some outages last up to several hours. Sorry about that.

I suspect the problem is in the forums code, as that's the only code that has actual LOCK statements (when storing a new post and updating thread counters), but I don't have enough real MySQL wizardry under my belt to understand why this can run flawlessly for days or even several weeks, and then cause multiple lockups on some days again, like this weekend.

So there you have an update.

@ Frans

So basically, the issue is being caused by Cutter posting too much?

At work we were experiencing something similar, so we added Nolocks to all of our queries. Maybe you don't need to lock? Here's an interesting article discussing alternatives and optimizations. My SQL skills are weak, but maybe there's someone on Blues has mad skills that can give advice?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo