Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Clifford Unchained - Nickels, dimes, and quarters. By Cliff Bleszinski.
If you donít like EA, donít buy their games. If you donít like their microtransactions, donít spend money on them. Itís that simple. EA has many smart people working for them (Hi, Frank, JR, and Patrick!) and they wouldnít attempt these things if they didnít work. Turns out, they do. I assure you there are teams of analysts studying the numbers behind consumer behavior over there that are studying how you, the gamer, spends his hard earned cash.

If youíre currently raging about this on GAF, or on the IGN forums, or on Gamespot, guess what? Youíre the vocal minority. Your average guy that buys just Madden and GTA every year doesnít know, nor does he care. He has no problem throwing a few bucks more at a game because, hey, why not?

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

33. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 2, 2013, 11:22 HorrorScope

Bhruic wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 10:34:
Actually, he's tired of EA being seen as the bad guy where Valve is fine. Valve has had microtransactions in TF2 for a long time. They have microtransactions in Portal 2. There haven't been many complaints about either of those. But EA announces they are going to do microtransactions in their games, and it's "pile on EA" time.

You are correct. This world has a knack of only attacking the top company in a segment. Burger King, Wendy's is no better than McDonald's, but McD is the one that is always attacked with lawsuits. Trust me the others have millions to hand over as well!

I won't say I'm the guy that won't buy EA, nor will I swear on the internet I never will again either. I will buy their games, but it is limited simply because they don't make much I want to play. That is the beginning and ending for me.

Every game is bought on its own merits, every DLC on its own value. As said here many times by many people, we have a simple choice of yes/no on every purchase we make. If you see value in a DLC, god bless.

Also the hate for Origin here to me is laughable, the service works fine, it installs reliably, downloads reliably, works reliably. I had a password issue once, via Live Chat in 30 minutes fixed. Steam it takes a day, no live chat. BNet a week, no live chat. EA 30 minutes, I give credit where it's due, they won big here.

Origin is every bit as reliable as Steam. The only downloader / middleware game app that I've had issues with is GFWL, now that one has some real issues, I personally hate it because when it doesn't work you have to hammer your system hard to rid it all and start over and there is no reasonable support for it.

Some just hate having multiple sources for downloads, well it's the PC, this is an open platform. Steam doesn't handle it all nor does it always have the same price. So you have to ask yourself, "Do I have the ability to handle a handful of gaming services?" I guess I can, to me it's clicking an icon, not too bad.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo