Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

AMD's Hair-Raising Tech

The AMD Game Blog an article on how AMD's graphics technology is being used in the Tomb Raider reboot to fix one the depiction of one of the most unrealistic physical characteristics of Lara Croft... her hair. They unveil "TressFX Hair," saying: "Croft is an iconic character with an equally iconic ponytail. Re-imagining Lara (and her haircut) for the 2013 release of Tomb Raider wasn’t just an opportunity to modernize the character, it was an opportunity to substantially advance in-game realism by tackling the long-standing challenge of unrealistic hair. Through painstaking collaboration between software developers at AMD and Crystal Dynamics, Tomb Raider proudly features the world’s first real-time hair rendering technology in a playable game: TressFX Hair."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

25. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 17:45 Spektr

jdreyer wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 13:03:
It's weird, he features look half-Asian, half Caucasian. I wonder if that's to appeal to a broader, more international audience?

Personally, I kind of like the new look.

hmm I don't know, asians do appeal to the part of the caucasian audience that is me :p As do caucasians and half asians too to be honest :p

Ok to be serious... this kind of "technological patch" has me wonder why Nvidia bothered purchasing PhysX at all. I mean what have they brought forward in term of graphical revolution with this purchase? Better capes in Batman Arkham City? Aww come on. Can't say that's the be all end all of modern graphics but it's been a while we were waiting for that graphical improvement to appear in games. ( I know I was at least :p) Reminds me when bump mapping normal mapping appeared in video games. It's starting to be a while already since we've seen that sweet candy appear. Since then developers have been quite content with the status quo it would seem. Actually it's been a while I've been waiting for a new improvement of this scope. I am betting this one will make babies and we'll see nice-looking hair in plenty of videogames soon. This is something which might have come up thanks to physx and that would have heralded an era of realistic hair fur grass leaves and cloth physix. This is a missed opportunity as something Nvidia has failed to cash on when they purchased PhysX.
An opportunity missed for the gaming community too because the games that come out today don't use all the power of the videocards and a success with pushing this technology could have brought with it more innovation. This might still be the case but I doubt this studio has the stature to bring it on all on its own.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2013, 17:51.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo