Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Tomb Raider Trailer

This trailer offers almost 11 minutes of gameplay from the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot, showing combat, exploration, and environments featuring the new more anatomically correct Lara Croft. The clip is accompanied by narration from Noah Hughes, as the creative director on the upcoming action/adventure reboot walks us through what we're seeing.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

11. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 12, 2013, 02:02 PropheT

Jerykk wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 23:28:
So much focus on combat. The TR series has always been known for platforming and puzzles, not combat, so why is this one focusing on combat and dumbing down the platforming and puzzle-solving? Oh, right, gotta appeal to the CoD demographic.

I'm hoping the game sells poorly so that Square and CD reassess this new direction.

Did you watch past the first 2 minutes of the video?

Besides, at this point in gaming...how many different key combination, move this block to that spot, push this wheel, discover this symbol combination puzzles, or whatever other content that passes for a "puzzle" in a game, actually gives you even the slightest pause anymore?

Tomb Raider games have always had a pretty good mix of combat and exploration. Really, other than the first and Anniversary (which I'm not sure counts, then) they've all had a lot of combat in them or replaced certain combat elements with puzzles that were just QTE's that I don't think anyone really enjoyed a great deal.

Being a little more combat focused does two things; 1, it gives more replayability to a game, since very few puzzles are genuinely fun the second time around, and 2 it gives them a chance to implement upgrades to your character as you play, giving you a carrot to chase while you explore or gain achievements or whatever else throughout the game. It's also worth noting that the way games are made these days means that if this direction doesn't sell, the franchise is probably shelved...not remade into a different vision, one that I argue never really existed in the first place, based on past games. If a game this big doesn't sell the studio dies, there's stories about it happening posted here almost daily.

Also, complaining about dumbing games down for the CoD kiddies is really becoming the gaming forum equivalent of shaking your fist at those damn kids on your lawn. It's just silly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo