Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines "Bug Hunt" DLC Revealed?

The Official Xbox Magazine notes a photo on The Gearbox Software Forums of a Wal-Mart ad promoting new Bug Hunt DLC for Aliens: Colonial Marines, calling this a "$14.99 value," though not indicating what, if anything this will actually cost. It says this is due via download on March 19th, and offers the following description: "Team up with your friends to take on waves of increasingly difficult enemies in an all new game mode." Thanks VG247.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

39. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 13:56 Beamer

MajorD wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 13:49:
Beamer wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 13:29:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 11:53:
MajorD wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 11:48:
Pushing DLC before the game has even been released is a BS move IMO, and is an immediate turn-off.
Same way I feel about this. DLC should never be a selling point for any games, especially not before release.

Why?
We all know it's probably coming, and DLC is a sign of post-launch support. It's nice to see that a publisher is planning extensive post-launch support.

Some people bitch that it's stuff cut from the game for the sole purpose of monetizing it, but that's less true with Gearbox than other companies (for whom its usually also not true), as Gearbox tends to outsource their DLC.

I disagree. I don't look at it as 'Post-Launch Support' at all; I look at it as an early money grab for a game that hasn't even been released/reviewed yet. It is obviously (or most likely) content that has already been developed, but not included with the initial release of the game so they can utilize it for DLC, which is fine, but let's see if the game is worthy of the DLC that you're trying sell to us before the initial release of the game itself.

But it isn't content withheld from the initial release, and it is a good indicator of postlaunch support. Borderlands 2 has had a ton of DLC. Borderlands 2 has had a ton of postlaunch support.

The DLC isn't anything that would have made sense in the initial release and it was all created by a third party, not by Gearbox itself.

The whole "they developed it already and withheld it just to sell it!" is ridiculous paranoia. I am not saying it hasn't happened, but it isn't common. It's incredibly rare, actually. Sometimes DLC is something that was planned to be in the game, but got cut for time issues. That it comes back is a nice perk.

And, again, this is coming from a guy that's really only bought DLC for Fallout 3, RDR (that was more an expansion), and now BL2. I'm not a real fan, as it's rare that a game leaves me wanting more. But it's ridiculous to claim it's stuff left back from the initial release just to sell.
Especially in Gearbox' case, when it is not only a different team working on it but an entirely different company.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo