Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft

Hollywood Reporter has news that Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code)will direct the upcoming movie based on Warcraft, Blizzard's fantasy universe. Word is the former Zowie Bowie, son of musician David Bowie, will helm the project, which is currently planned for a 2015 release, and is referred to in the article as a tent pole film. Thanks nin.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

19. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 18:02 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 10:03:
While we are on the subject of movies and all the remakes (re)imaginings that are being done today, I think someone should have another crack at Dune.

Lynch's Dune was such a craptastic movie that no one is willing to touch that project with a ten foot pole.

Visually Lynch's Dune was fantastic aside from a few things here and there. The acting was anywhere from solid to tolerable, and I always felt the film captured the world of Dune and managed to butcher the story. I know that originally Lynch wanted a story far closer to the book but the studio over-rode him and wanted the happier ending (rain on Arrakis), and that he wanted the first book to be a full trilogy instead of a 2 hour film. When that didn't work, he asked for 3-4 hours and they told him to kiss off.

He did the best with what he could I think, and managed a lot of visually interesting moments.

Compare that to the more story-accurate high school play atrocity that was the Sci-Fi miniseries abortion... With felt clothing, absurd costume design, horrific acting, terrible casting (Eastern Bloc Fremen FTW!), and set design and lighting that was an abomination (seriously... wrinkled back drops with sand piled up on the bottom, with the back drop painted in blues but the set lit in green... that reflected off of the back drop...), the miniseries *almost* ruined my love of the story and it was years before I felt like revisiting it.

Any remake of Dune would have to tread very carefully and devote itself to some serious world-building while still being true to the story.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo