Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

War Thunder Open Beta

Gaijin Entertainment announces that War Thunder is now in open beta, allowing access for all interested in checking out this World War II aerial combat MMOG. Here's a bit to catch you up on the game: "War Thunder offers a highly detailed and personalized aviation experience, giving players access to hundreds models of planes with detailed cockpits, dozens of upgradeable weapons, and flying skills that can be honed and improved with each mission. Thanks to the game’s painstaking attention to detail, you’ll truly feel like a World War II fighter pilot as you plunge into battle."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

2. Re: War Thunder Open Beta Jan 30, 2013, 20:36 Scottish Martial Arts

The word from my buddies in beta is that this is like IL-2 Sturmovik (original release) but with extremely casual flight models. In other words, like the original IL-2 release in 2001, there is no real engine, system, or avionics modeling, but unlike IL-2, you don't even feel like you're flying a real piece of machinery: instead you're just moving a floating camera around to put crosshairs on target. I suppose a MMO casual flight "sim" would be alright, were it not for the fact that the War Thunder community seems to have even less tactical aptitude than the British Hurricane squadrons of the Battle of France. Low speed, low altitude, low situational awareness, and low gunnery skills: that's the profile of your average target in War Thunder, and sadly booming and zooming on hapless newbies is only entertaining for so long, particularly when the planes aren't very rewarding to fly.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo