Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Q&As

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

18. Re: Evening Q&As Jan 29, 2013, 17:22 panbient

Jerykk wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 12:31:
I hear this a lot but it's not really as bad as people seem to think. Firstly, compatibility testing is typically outsourced to professional testing groups. This is done a few times throughout development. It's not like the devs are constantly testing every possible hardware combination in existence.

Secondly, console games have to go through certification, which is just as much hassle as ensuring compatibility on a wide range of PC hardware.If EA wants Dead Space to sell more PC units, they need to put effort into the ports. It's that simple.

QA might not be 'that' bad but it's not 'that' simple either. Every build you send to a testing firm for compatibility testing costs both time and money. Deadlines for launch? Better hope that build is super solid.

Assuming console certification is just a much hassle as pc hardware combinations is folly to me. A developer would have a list of the criteria the console manufacturer is going to test against and their expectations for each point of contention. If a developer is having hassles getting certified it's likely because they're trying to slip sub-par work to the marketplace, not because this PS3 has a different sound chip than that PS3.

While I agree with your final line in theory, the reality is EA wants to launch all platforms on the same day. I don't think they care -at all- to sell more PC units than any console, they just want to be able to offer the product to as many platforms as possible as quickly as possible. Quite frankly the PC market is not nearly as substantial as its proponents like to claim (and I do prefer gaming on my pc too), but the numbers don't lie, look at Dead Space 2's sales - 1.3 million on the 360, 1.23 million on PS3, and 260 000 on PC. source - http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=dead+space+2

If you don't like it, Tumbler said it best - vote with your wallet.

@Verno - look at the numbers, a $20 increase on the title for a premium pc version with bells and whistles wouldn't amount to squat. If you want the developers to cater to the pc crowd, then the pc market need to generate 5 times more sales, or increase the price by 5 fold. Don't know about you, but I certainly would not pay $250 for a pc game just so I can get smoother mouse and keyboard support and higher rez textures.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo