Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Legal Briefs

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

61. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 17, 2013, 10:39 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 09:58:
What else am I to infer from your use of the term "gun worship"? Maybe you should explain what you mean by that, if not the common meaning? I don't believe it's gun worship at all for most people. It's a desire for the right to keep and bear arms, as the Constitution states. For hunting, sporting, self and home defense, and as a hedge against the government becoming tyrannical. I know that many dismiss that last one out of hand, but it is a legitimate reason, given even a passing familiarity with history and the rise and fall of governments.

I was pretty explicit in my explanation, not sure what else you're looking for there. It was not a character judgment, it was a reference to media and culture. The revolution stuff is downright silly, a coup d'etat is far more likely and realistic. Most revolutions are fought by a very small force with popular support. People don't need guns to overthrow the government, not in these kind of volumes anyway, they just need numbers and a willingness to do so.
Like I said, it gets dismissed a lot, but there are many ways that governments can fail, and trying to predict how it will happen is futile. It may be quick and relatively painless, as some are, or it may get very bad and very messy. The really bad things tend to happen to unarmed populations.

What works in other countries won't necessarily work here. Other countries have different values too. Some don't recognize a legitimate right to self-defense using firearms (or any lethal means in some cases). They have different histories, cultures, population densities, laws (aside from just gun laws), etc., that make them very different from us.

Sometimes different is good. You can learn things from differences. I don't just want to give up because some of their underlying factors are different than ours, I'd like to know why gun culture is so pervasive and examine if that's something that needs to be changed in the future.
I'm not arguing that we shouldn't look at others, but I am saying that there are some things that aren't going to be on the table (like taking away a right to self-defense), and in light of that, you have to consider whether a potential solution from elsewhere would still work here. Without very broad agreement, major changes won't really be possible.

I want to address the real issues that lead to these kinds of tragedies, but I also think we need to keep some perspective on it. Violent crime has been dropping for a long time now. Most homicides committed with a gun are still related to gang and drug violence. More people are killed by unarmed people than by rifles and shotguns combined. There are things that should be done, but most of the proposals we've seen so far are just political theater. They aren't going to fix anything.

I haven't examined all 23 measures introduced yesterday in depth yet so I can't really comment.
I'm still going through those measures as well. I was really referring to most of the ideas that other politicians and talking heads have been putting forth in the last few weeks. Everything from complete bans on all semi-automatic rifles, to banning violent games, to a tax on bullets.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo