Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Legal Briefs

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

58. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 16, 2013, 13:56 Verno

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 13:35:
You're talking about banning the most common magazines in the world because you want to do something, even though you have no idea what effect it would actually have, if any. That's not rational.

No, I said I didn't understand the purpose of them, I didn't say I supported outright banning them. As in I'm not a gun owner and I don't see why it's so important for recreational or home defense purposes. I was just addressing what you said about how it wouldn't make a difference in that situation. I've already pointed out several times that addressing the root problems will require more than minor changes to gun control, although I do think there are improvements to be made in the area of gun control.

Nor is calling people's defense of their rights "gun worship". You don't engage in a productive dialog with that kind of attack on people's character.

I didn't offer any character judgments, those are inferred on your part. In terms of productive dialog, that works both ways. The NRA pledged to defeat any new gun law introduced, there wasn't even room for discussion. Smaller clips is no solution but no discussion about any measure isn't productive either. I am just pointing out that America worships the gun, it's ingrained in popular culture, many families pass it on as a tradition and they are widespread in our media. This isn't even a political left vs right thing either. People keep zeroing in on mental health and gun control but culturally we need to change too in my opinion.

I've offered up some ideas for things that might actually help in previous threads on this subject.

I think many people have shared ideas that might help, the trouble is putting it all together into something that the country can move forward with politically and functionally. Everyone wants the mentally ill to have better care but no one wants to pay taxes for it. Half the country wants as little restriction on personal firearms as possible, the other half wants as many as possible. Everyone wants less weapons coming in through the black market but most attempts are stopgap and temporary. Worse, many American corporations have profited from it.

Ultimately the country needs to decide if its going to care for longer than a mass shooting news cycle and I'm not sure that it truly does. We need to examine what works in other countries and ask ourselves why our approach isn't. I don't just mean mass shootings either, just saving lives and negating injuries in general should be the goal we're shooting for here.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2013, 14:17.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo