Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

$83MM to Kickstart Games in 2012

A Best of Kickstarter 2012 feature has some eye-opening statistics on the year in videogame crowdsourcing. Word is 561,574 backers pledged $83,144,565 to 2,796 projects. Thanks nin via Kotaku.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

16. Re: $83MM to Kickstart Games in 2012 Jan 9, 2013, 16:05 Dev

Dmitri_M wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 16:03:
Dev wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 06:47:
Just because YOU PERSONALLY don't know about other successful kickstarter examples, doesn't mean they aren't out there.

If you reread my post with your histrionic internet poster bottle top thick glasses removed I implied nothing about kickstarters in general.
And if you reread MINE, you'll see I was also replying to prophet who DID imply stuff about these kinda projects... and he replied to a post that did mention kickstarter... in a news thread about kickstarter.

When someone brought up FTL as a counter example, you were the one said to stop bringing it up.

Hence, the bringing up of other examples.
Dmitri_M wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 16:03:
I got 300 dollars invested in these kooky kickstarter projects and as such I'm happy to view them for what they are. Business ventures about as likely to succeed or fail as any conventional business venture.
Thats a healthy attitude to have. So far I've done pretty well at picking kickstarters, and ones with physical rewards (board games or technology items, etc) have mostly been delivered. For instance, right before christmas I got the blink(1).
Software ones are a little more iffy looks like, a couple of the multiple projects I've backed have said they've run out of money, although they've promised to continue. So we'll see. FTL is one of the ones that I backed that's delivered though. A number of the other ones I've done have delivered alpha or beta already. The double fine project continues to release multiple updates, including their monthly video documentary, so that continues. Although the last update may have depressed some people, I'm encouraged by it. That shows they have a close eye on the budget and are going to have to start cutting back on some of it since their current pace means they will go over. That's a natural process of making a game, I'm fairly sure that limiting the scope of a game happens with all game projects with a budget. I'm pretty confidant that they will release a game, and one thats fun. I think ALL game kickstarter creators should watch those documentaries. I've certainly gotten my money's worth, and thats before the game is even out.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2013, 16:16.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo