Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Hardware

Polygon has what details PC maker Xi3 is revealing about "Piston," a Steam-optimized mini computer that seems to be the first blow in Valve's much discussed foray into gaming hardware. This is be a powerful little PC in a cool form factor, said to be based on its "performance level" X7A PC, a version of a modular PC that failed to achieve its Kickstarter goals last year. This seems clearly aimed at the living room and Valve's "Big Picture" initiative.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

19. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 8, 2013, 13:43 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 12:10:
How much longer until your cellphone is more powerful than an xbox?

PCs are NOT selling very well. Sales are crumbling. Dell and HP are reeling. It's brutal, and making things worse they're trying to get back to higher priced PCs (laptops mostly) and no one is biting.

It's just denying the inevitable if you think that desktop PCs will still be a thing much longer into the future. Dell sells 2 desktop PCs to home users. 2! They occupy 1 page in Best Buy's circular, compared to 5+ for laptops. Internet traffic is increasingly coming from mobile/tablet devices.

I keep saying it, but I'll repeat: we're moving to a world were we have limited devices and instead of different form factors that device communicates with. Mice, controllers, keyboards and displays all connect to your mobile device. It keeps everything. Hell, we're probably moving to them mostly being dummy with most computation being cloud based.

Does this mean the fringe will abandon dedicated machines? No. People on this board will build their devices as long as that's possible. But this isn't the mainstream. We're not who companies put billions of R&D dollars to pleasing.

Your first question. How much longer cellphone/xbox? Really probably years off, but at that time the new Xbox will be out, new pc's will be out. So again the best will be there, are you ready for 3rd best?

Sales aren't crumbling, they are down <10%, it's everything WS worries about, but numbers are still very strong.

Inevitable is an infinite word, so yes inevitably I can agree with that. But it could be a long time before people will decide "all the power I ever need is on my phone/pad". Grandma and mom may have already decided that today even, but Blue News gamers have not and I'll bet dollars to donuts, we'll what that extra power that devs will need and use that will make the experience that wee bit better. That is what we've been doing all along, why change now?

We are easily 10 years away from all the power we ever need, probably more like 50.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo