Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Christmas Legal Briefs

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

22. Re: Christmas Legal Briefs Dec 26, 2012, 10:26 Panickd

Beamer wrote on Dec 25, 2012, 20:19:
Why would they ever cut a deal with Netflix. They're in the subscription service business, not the content service. Anything that threatens to lessen that subscription business is a waste. It may capture lost revenue, but it will almost definitely result in a greater loss of subscriptions. Half the internet sits around going "why doesn't HBO join up with Netflix? I'd totally cancel them and stream what I want to see." That's why they haven't done it.

At some point they'll likely decide that they need to switch, but that time is a ways away. For right now they'd prefer people that have no interest in subscribing keep on either buying DVDs at way too much or pirating, and everyone else sit around complaining about how annoying it is but still paying their $20 per month (or whatever it is these days.)

Piracy is indeed easier and cheaper. But HBO doesn't much care. They aren't here to sell you Game of Thrones. They're here to sell subscriptions to their service.

This is more an HBO thing than a subscription TV thing. Showtime has some of it's shows on Netflix right now and I have no doubt more will show up as time goes on. HBO's leadership has said time and again that they think the whole cord cutting/internet streaming thing is a "fad" that will go away. Seems like a massive gamble to bet the company on to me, but then I suppose they don't care because win or lose I am sure all the top brass at HBO will walk away with lots on money either from bonuses or golden parachute severance packages. So, you know, yay capitalism!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo