Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Christmas Legal Briefs

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

12. Re: Christmas Legal Briefs Dec 25, 2012, 22:37 Beamer

Quboid wrote on Dec 25, 2012, 20:41:
I agree with your general point Beamer, but you contradict yourself twice at the end. They are here to sell us Game of Thrones, via DVD/Blu-Ray. Also, HBO are sure to care because people pirating their content will also cost them subscriptions, albeit on a lesser scale.

It will be interesting when they're forced to change, and I agree they will - I don't think it will be that long. It's mind boggling how content providers are so bad this sort of thing, it seems every anti-piracy measure they attempt encourages piracy by making the paid product ever more unappealing. I appreciate doing deals for legal distribution in 200 countries isn't easy, but things like unskippable anti-piracy warnings - you know who isn't bothered by these? Pirates.

Klaus Flouride: Nice one, your avatar got me

They don't really want to sell us those DVDs and BluRay, though. They're so much more expensive than any other TV show to deter people from buying it. Essentially two HBO seasons equals one year of HBO subscriptions. They want you to look and go "Well, I watch GoT, and whateverothershow, may as well subscribe rather than wait and buy the DVD set for $60 a week before the new season comes out."

And yeah, piracy costs them subscriptions, but not as many as Netflix would.

Really not sure when they'll change. I'm under the impression that their subscriber levels are pretty solid, and they're so dependent upon cable companies that they're not overjoyed to change what works. Obviously it won't work forever, but they've probably got the better part of a decade. And then they'll likely do a subscription based content service like Netflix, only with their own shows and possibly some movies. Basically, what HBO is right now, only you pay them directly rather than ComCast.

I dunno, I'm not convinced we want more monthly fees. Even if they add up to much less than cable does now, people hate constantly telling people "sure, you can have $5 of my monthly paycheck, too. $5 for everyone!"

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo