Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Gamasutra - Black Isle is a great case study in how to NOT crowdfund your game.
Even if you decide to look past all of this shadiness, it's pretty impossible not to raise a critical eyelid at the crowdfunding scheme itself.

Where it has become common practice to offer backer rewards for those putting funding toward your game, Black Isle has decided this isn't necessary. If you pledge $10, you'll be granted access to a special Black Isle forum. If you put down $20, they'll even let you post on the forum.

There is no way to receive a copy of the game by pledging -- even if you decide to put down $10,000 -- because the money isn't actually going towards a game at all. In fact, the money will be used to build a prototype, which Black Isle will then show to investors in the hope of gathering up moolah elsewhere.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

8. Re: Op Ed Dec 23, 2012, 16:26 Dev

The actual link (I decided to edit the URLs to remove the linking part, don't really want to drive traffic or search engine rankings to them, but I left enough for ppl to copy/paste to check it out):
blackisle.com

They ARE doing some form of crowdfunding, but its NOT kickstarter, or indiegogo or anything else like that. They are doing it all through their own website. I'm guessing that's to avoid even the minimal controls and rules that places like KS have in place.

This is pretty simply a money grab by Caen bros, who are basically trying to milk interplay's corpse dry. If you look at their financials for the term in which they were trying to dev fallout online, their BONUSES seemed to be more than the miniscule amount they spent to work on fallout online.

Be sure to read the FAQ:
blackisle.com/frequentlyasked.html
Will my contribution get me a copy of the Project V13 game if it is released?
No.

What do the funds go to? Here's one item:
Interplay's corporate expenses
aka Caen bros pockets.
They talk about how they will refund if they don't bother to make a forum, but they say they will only refund money thats not spent. Then in the very next section it says its "non-refundable" anyway.

Oh also I noticed that they promise "immediate access to a private forum" despite the fact they haven't even made one yet!

I wonder if they are going with that bulgarian masthead company again, with the one mostly failed MMO to their name. Whatever they are doing, if they had any work done at all, its going to have fallout references removed, and still trying to cash in on fallout. I mean look at the name, they using V13 as the game name (which beth doesn't own) and black isle as the studio name (despite that its basically black isle as a name only, nothing else). Basically handwaving and shouting, HEY LOOK AT ME, GIVE ME MONEY BECAUSE YOU THINK OF FALLOUT WHEN YOU SEE THIS!

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2012, 17:36.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo