Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam for Linux Beta Opens

Steam News announces that the beta of the Linux Steam client is now available to all:

The Steam for Linux beta client is now available to all Steam users, so if you've been patiently waiting for an invitation to join us, consider yourself officially invited!

With a growing catalog of Linux-supported games, an active Steam for Linux community group, and a new GitHub bug reporting repository, the timing’s right to jump in and share your feedback.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

7. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 19, 2012, 22:52 Kitkoan

Been using it for a while myself.

I find that its smoother then Windows 7 (I have my games listed as tiles and scrolls much smoother for me).

Games have been iffy with it though.

I'm also using Ubuntu 12.04 x64.

I did a training mission with Team Fortress 2 and it ran like a champ.

Killing Floor is a quick and dirty port and it shows in many ways. It runs on the Unreal engine which doesn't support Linux, so you get many errors and just odd things (like Direct X is a selectable graphic option). The floors sometimes don't show, my flashlight has transparency problems (instead of it being a see thru light, its a gray square where ever the light lands, blocking everything it shines on), runs really slow (on Windows I can max it out and run smooth, Medium for Linux), can't see through the scope on a crossbow (again with it being an issue with transparencies, it looks like you forgot to remove the lens cap...) and a few random issues. While nothing game breaking, it isn't the most fun.

Dungeons of Dredmor plays good but has random slowdowns/freezes for like 30 seconds. And screen size options are much more limited (on Windows I can choose almost every option between 800x600 to 1920x1080, on Linux I can choose either 800x600, 1280x768 (I think it was) and 1920x1080.) A bit annoying for me since I like playing in a Window and 1280x768 is too small on my 15 inch 1080p screen, but isn't big enough for 1920x1080 window.

Swords and Sworcery plays great after I had to move a file (someone on the Steam forums gave me a cut-n-paste code which fixed it). It seems to fix many of the issues for 64bit user but not all people and not all the time.

Space Chem just doesn't work. The file is bad (and its a Wine wrapped file). Replacing the .exe with the one from the .deb file of the Humble Bundle fixed it.

While I have most of the Linux games listed, I haven't tried the rest. Most of them seem to be just quick Wine wrapper games, and a few are just there but no one made sure to even see if they even run.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo