Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

25. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 6, 2012, 09:23 Verno

The flat, chrome look of Windows 8 isn't awful or anything but the lack of transparency is certainly annoying if you run a lot of apps simultaneously. Aero Glass was actually pretty cool and they put a lot of effort into it just to drop it but that's a Microsoft problem in general - Kin, Silverlight, their numerous online efforts, etc. They should have just made it optional like they did in Windows 7, they could default it off for mobile users.

Nobody gives a shit about the task manager. Do you stare at it all day or something? If you really want to know what is going on in your machine you are going to fire up Sysinternals Process Explorer ( a deep task investigative tool) or Process Monitor (basically an OS sniffer).

Ribbon on Explorer? I'm indifferent to that feature.
Wireless easier to use??? How the fuck is it not easy to use in Win7?
Other than booting since it's not really fully shutting down... the speed you claim is subjective at best. Benchmarks do not show a sizable improvement.

Indeed, well put. Lots of confirmation bias type claims. People want other people to use what they are using, it's human nature. I saw some idiot claim improved stability in the last thread even which is totally absurd and could only be anecdotal at this early stage. Windows 7 was rock solid anyway. Others talk about the improved memory management and security models, ignoring the fact that it only applies to Metro apps.

I use Windows 8 on a test machine at home, have for a long time and the best thing I can say about it is that you can treat it like Windows 7 for $15 and that having Startup items in task manager is kinda neat.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo