Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025

Smed's Blog has word from SOE's John Smedley on their goal of supporting PlanetSide 2 for more than a decade in a massive update about the MMOFPS sequel, following a tweet showing off concept art for a Bastion Fleet Carrier being designed for the game (thanks VG247 where they also note a post on Massively discussing plans to make Station Cash purchases in the game available account-wide). Here's a portion of the post on the game's future:

We have games that have run for over 13 years, so when we're making Planetside 2 we aren't looking at what it's like in 2012. We're thinking about a game we plan to have running in 2025. Yeah. Really. I plan on doing a lot of direct comparisons to other games. When I'm doing that in no way do I want any of this to be viewed as me slamming other games. I've played the heck out of Battlefield 2 and 3 as well as BFBC2. I've also played a ton of MW2 and MW3 as well as TF2. I am primarily a PC gamer. I've also played on teams extensively. All of the above games are amazing and are made by people with tremendous talent and passion that I have the utmost respect for. We're making Planetside 2 to be a game we at SOE want to play. We've gotten a lot of inspiration from elements of the above games as well as many other games.. including our own and especially from the original Planetside which we released back in 2003. Well ahead of it's time. This isn't meant to be a super comprehensive FAQ on Planetside 2 - just some things I wanted to get out there after reading a lot of questions and comments. Also - it's late.. I'm not spending a ton of time formatting this too well, so sorry for the wall of text in many spots.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

53. Re: SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025 Dec 3, 2012, 08:35 OldTimber

grabbed it on steam, played maybe 5 hrs and dumped it the other night in a deletion spree of stuff i'll never look at again. Just didn't see anything in it as the engine beyond the player models looks horrible. Overblow sun flares don't make a environmental mood. And gotta love the whole bright white ice planet, guess the devs saw Hoth in ToR and figured hell we can make a brighter retina burning out planet of our own. It suffers from the Battlefield/Tribes design problem, all that terrain generated but combat is only in small areas. Should be aware of your surroundings if you decide to walk across the landscape, but then nobody would sit out there scoped to a area to pick off anyone like that.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo