Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Dead Island: Riptide in Germany

An interview on PCGamesN has word that Dead Island: Riptide will not be available in Germany when the RPG sequel is released next year, in spite of being partly developed in that country. Creative producer Sebastian Reichert explains that Techland is not creating a censored version of the game to comply with Germany's strict laws about depicting violence against human figures and "mutilation of corpses." In defending the game's content, he gladly throws GoW3 under the bus: "At the moment I'm really confused that you can buy Gears of War 3 in stores in Germany, but not Dead Island. Because where's the difference? I mean, [the enemies in Gears of War] are human-like, and they things you do to them... ah, they really have nice finishers! That flamethrower finisher, he rams the flamethrower into the body, pulls the trigger and the flames come out of every body part. That's in stores." Thanks VG247.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

12. Re: No Dead Island: Riptide in Germany Dec 1, 2012, 05:26 El Pit

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 04:21:
Ehm no. Steam regional lock is publisher choice, not Steam choice. So if you tell steam "no regional restrictions" and you only sell 1 version of your game, then everyone can play that version of your game, no matter where they are. Sales in Germany might not be allowed then, but buying via 3rd party (GMG / Amazon, etc) is perfectly allowed.

The reason Steam enforces the German version is because the publisher made a German version and enforces it specifically for Germans. Again, 100% Publisher, 0% Steam. ^^

Secondly, the real issue is that Steam has STILL no age verification.

Buying it from other sources won't help if you won't be allowed to ACTIVATE the game on Steam with a German IP unless you ignore the Steam ToS and use VPN, risking your Steam account. Therefore - don't risk hundreds of games, seek alternative ways.

I'm not blaming Steam. I'm blaming OZ and German governments and the publishers lacking balls to allow the game to be activated from Germany via Steam.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo