Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

The Baldur's Gate Website announces that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is now available for Windows PCs through the Beamdog Service. The game was to be released for all platforms today, but Trent Oster tweets that the iOS build is not approved, Android is trailing iOS, and the Mac OSX version is also delayed (thanks Eurogamer/Modojo). Here's word:

Overhaul Games is pleased to announce that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition of PC has been released through Beamdog, and can be purchased here.

If you've already purchased Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, you can either download it through the Beamdog client, which can be found here, or through the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Installer which can be downloaded here.

Please note that due to extreme server load it may take some time to get your game, but we are working around the clock to alleviate the situation.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 15:28 WaltC

Orogogus wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:08:
Darks wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 10:09:
DrEvil wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 01:16:
Pete wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 00:24:
Oh wow, that intro cinematic is cringe worthy.

For those wanting to see the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoSqDtky0pU

Holy cow, that new intro looks horrid. I canít believe they actually thought that was release worthy. Makes me wonder what kind of real enhancements are in this game after watching that travesty.

It's not good, but I do think the original intro (as linked by DrEvil) is worse, even allowing for the era. I can't imagine what process events led to that helmet making it into the shipping product.

I think it pays to remember that BG1 was a 2d game, and the whole game ran on 2d static screens and 2d animations.

This supposedly "enhanced" intro is the most egregious mistake made in this effort that I have so far seen. That's the whole problem, really, in a nutshell. I figured enhanced to mean, "Exactly like the original classic, only better technically," in terms of OS compatibility, resolution and texture use, etc. Adding new content to an enhanced version of an original classic is fine, too, providing two things happen:

1) New content is added to the original as opposed to replacing it
2) No editing of the original content takes place--no chopped lines, substituted lines, etc.

If they start adding new content in addition to selectively removing original content then we have moved from "enhancement" to "editing" and I think that's going to cause them some problems. You like the new intro better than the old one--which I find remarkable. It seems to me your chief objection to the original intro was the guy's helmet--which I agree has always looked dorky...;) Nevertheless, that exact helmet is available in the original game, which is why they used it, imo. Some people have always disliked the way the game itself renders helmets and so a mod was developed that allowed the player to remove all of the helmet animations if desired.

The intro, instead of coming off as "enhanced," comes off as chopped up and amateurishly altered. The guy's face as it appears prior to him being thrown from the roof looks exactly like it was put there through a cut & paste editing job--which it probably was...;) You should carefully watch both new and old intros a couple of times back to back--because if you do I do not see how you can miss that the "enhanced" version runs in choppy fashion (while not choppy itself), whereas the original flows pretty well. I much prefer the original intro.

If this is the way in which they have approached the entire project then I think they are going to have some fairly serious problems to weed through. I think they'd have done much better to attempt a "Remastered" version of the original instead of an "Enhanced" version in which a lot of editing is obvious. It'll be interesting to read some reviews.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo