Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods

The PlanetSide 2 Forums announce that SOE is taking a zero tolerance policy towards client-side modifications for their MMORPG sequel (thanks RPS):

It is vital that you not run software which modifies the Planetside 2 client in any way. If you do this, you are indistinguishable from various hacks that work in the same manner. The result of this is that you will be banned from gameplay and lose your characters/items.

We cannot make exceptions to this. We do understand there are relatively harmless apps that fall in this category, but if we allowed those they would simply be used as a shield excuse by players trying to cheat. This same rule applies to data that Planetside 2 uses for gameplay. Do not modify any of these files or attempt to modify them in memory.

There are some applications that modify the windows or directx environment without changing the client. These may also result in suspensions unless we specifically exempt them and declare them ok to use.

The most simple guidance here is do not use third party programs which change the Planetside 2 gameplay in any way unless it has been specifically cleared by SOE.

The above does not apply to user initiated *.INI changes, those are allowed, although setting your own options incorrectly can result in bugs.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

45. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 29, 2012, 15:59 DG

Prez wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 19:58:
Help me out here - I think I understand the basics of 'ping' but I may be oversimplifying it. A ping of 250 is actually 250 milliseconds, or one full quarter of a second. In other words, as I understand it, with that ping you would have to conceivably be aiming where your opponent will be in a quarter second from when you fire. Is that correct? A bit of a noob question I know but being a singleplayer gamer my whole life I have never really paid much attention to multiplayer idioms. Never really paid much attention to networking at all until only recently.
Sort of. I'm really rusty on this stuff but...

The ping is usually round-trip time, so it's how long it takes your cpu to send a packet, the packet to get there, the server to process it, packet to get back and your cpu to process it.

However that does not mean your latency is actually half the ping.

Remember what you see on screen is already out of date by the time it took you to get the data from the server. So by the time the server gets your response the total gap is indeed the full ping time.

This is based on Quake-style netcode where everything is done on the server. I'm not going to try and explain or even pretend to understand other approaches because whenever I read anything about them I get annoyed - IMHO the server should be king and arbiter, any other way is stupid and unfair.

It also assumes there is no timenudge/prediction/hocus-pocus going on. Some games try to reduce the effect of latency by putting info on screen that is a guess about the future. When it is accurate it does effectively negate the latency and you aim where you want to hit. But when it is wrong it can double or treble your effective latency because it showed you the player being distance-moved-in-100msec to the left of where he actually was when packet was sent out to you, but by the time you get it he might actually have gone distance-moved-in-100msec to the right thus the error is 200msec. However, by the time that is worked out it is again making another prediction a futher distance-moved-in-100msec to the right so the total on-screen adjustment is 300msec.

Again I favour Quake approach here because the default timenudge was 0 but player could set it to their preference. It's more common for games to force some prediction and not even tell you that it is doing it.

The average casual gamer wants to shoot where he wants to hit, therefore wants prediction. The average "skilled" player wants to control leading the target etc so wants minimum error, i.e no prediction (well okay, maybe a small amount of timenudge if has highish ping; a small amount of timenudge should be quite accurate, I would think the errors should scale up dramatically with the level of tn applied, probably logarithmically or exponentially)

This all gets a lot more complicated once you factor in the server calculating the gamestate in intervals, it taking time to do so, the latency in your cpu/graphics card/mouse etc

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo