Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 17, 2012, 13:57 Beamer

Creston wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 13:34:
Beamer wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 12:56:
Ratty wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 12:34:
Bet wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 12:12:
Ratty wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 06:09:
New Xbox: It's just rumor but if true 8 gigs of RAM is good news for PC gamers.
16 times more RAM than currently used?! Console gamers' eyes will tell them they're seeing the face of God!
I do hope it isn't for some delux edition or something with "starter" editions having considerably less. We'd be faced with developers designing for the lowest common denominator once more.

Why would you even think this? How many companies have ever, ever done this? Nintendo, and it was a failure.

Everyone console manufacturer knows that, if it isn't in every box, it may as well not exist.

Everyone console manufacturer knows that. Oh, except Microsoft. Remember when the Xbox360 came out, and they had SKUs without hard disks and SKUs WITH hard disks? So yeah, this is actually the company that has already DONE something that fucking stupid.

Do you WORK for Microsoft or something? You come to their defense every single chance you get, even about things that Microsoft just blatantly fucked up on.

Creston

Problems with your post:
1) They never released without a HDD. They released with a 4GB HDD. There's a big difference between "no storage" and "4GB of storage"
2) There's an enormous difference between storage and RAM. Video game consoles historically, and still today, do not require installing. They stream from the media to the RAM. Even the PS3, which allows installing, does not necessitate it and, in many cases, is actually slowed by doing it
3) When programming, you need to know exactly how much RAM is available. It makes enormous differences in the capabilities of a game. HDD space? Not so much

Microsoft was cheap here, but it wasn't a blatant fuck-up. Releasing with varying RAM would be, because it would penalize those spending more for more RAM.

And I was the one who, when people in another thread were saying the Surface RT was "good marketing" was calling it a massive marketing fuck up, so yeah, I think it's safe to say I don't defend Microsoft whenever possible. It's just some people on this board have their minds so made up that everything Microsoft does is wrong and evil and stupid, even when the person making the post has no clue what's going on and is actually being pretty wrong and stupid themselves. It's like some people jump all over themselves to see who can bash Micrsoft, or certain other companies, more, then babble on about how great a different company doing the same things are.

I mostly dislike and distrust all companies equally. While some stand out as pretty good, they all make selfish decisions (Valve suddenly championing Linux), stupid decisions (Microsoft not being clear in what Surface RT is and is not), evil decisions (Google and all of your data), etc. Some people just start thinking every single decision a company makes is one of the above, even when clearly not, tries to manufacture evidence it is, even when it isn't shown to be, and starts hearing something benign and fabricating totally outlandish scenarios that have next to no chance of being true as being an almost-certainty. Like, if there was a headline that Valve was going to be giving 50% of HL3 revenues to charity, someone here would invariably make a claim that it's got to be some evil, nefarious charity or some other terrible purpose, or they'd claim that Valve was going to charge 50% more, or whatever.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo