Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

25. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 29, 2012, 19:46 Orogogus

The WHO is part of the UN, and did good against smallpox and polio.

The people being sued by the content creators in that article all had a business set up around importation and resale. No one seems to be a Joe Everyman who just wanted to buy a cheaper textbook to get through the semester. As such the argument's already been pushed all the way to the endpoint - should companies be allowed to sell products at higher prices in wealthier markets, and more cheaply in poorer ones?

I think we already went over the extreme case here before: buying up Steam keys from Asia & Eastern Europe and reselling them in the US. Purely digital, so it's basically all profit, with no need to put anything on a boat. As I recall, the argument is basically that people in weaker economies have no fundamental right to affordable video games, whereas consumers do have the right to buy things and resell them wherever they want.

There was a Valve interview where they noted that games used to be sold in Russia at parity with Western countries and released months later, so of course everyone just pirated everything. Now apparently Valve has become the first Western distributor to make major inroads in Russia, selling at deep discounts on or near the same release date as the West, but it could just cannibalize publishers' primary sales markets. So it might be better for them to just go back to horrifically overpriced & months late, and let the Asians and Eastern Europeans pirate everything.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo