Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare

A new Twitter account from Daniel Erickson announces his departure from BioWare Austin, where he was Creative Director and lead designer on Star Wars: The Old Republic, the MMORPG that has not proven to be the force in the marketplace that some expected. The reasons for this are not revealed, but along the way he comments on the current focus of commercial game development: "When 90% of the industry is saying the exact same thing (social, mobile, FTP!) a huge number of people are going to lose that race." Thanks MCV.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

28. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Lead Leaves BioWare Oct 4, 2012, 16:53 WyldKat

Carcifier wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 12:47:
I love how this guy, the "lead designer", seems to complain about F2P and designing games for money...

WTF was TOR?!?!?!?!?

YOU MADE A WOW CLONE!

That's not a money grab, attempt?

No wonder you failed, you didn't even know what the hell you were making.

Oh I'm sure they knew exactly what they were making however they sold the lie to themselves that their game was a unique snowflake and wasn't like game X because of their story or that it was Star Wars or for whatever reason.

I still personally contend that not only was it too much like WoW, it wasn't ENOUGH like Star Wars Galaxies. Many of us enjoyed a lot of aspects in SWG, even after SOE ruined it. The space combat was still top notch, so was the player housing system. The faction PVP was even LOADS better than what we got with Ilum, especially when you could have AT-STs and Stormtroopers at your command taking over towns and that actually MEANT something.

I played SWTOR for 3 weeks... the final week of the first month I was so burnt out on the broken and downright boring end-game that I was only logging on for guild activities. When I played that Rakghoul rubbish the night before they wanted to charge me, I unsubscribed in disgust.

Meanwhile with GW2, six weeks later and I'm still playing it like a crack addicted monkey even at level 80 because I've only explored 42% of the huge game world, haven't collected all the armor/legendaries I want, I have a ton of alts to level because I love how different the classes feel, and I love WvW every time I step foot in it and this is a game I don't have to feel shamed into playing because of a subscription fee. There are still bugs with GW2 and the "personal story" wasn't presented as well as SWTOR, but it's SO fun to just PLAY, SWTOR was only enjoyable to WATCH.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo