Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original

Games By Design announces plans for A Valley Without Wind 2, a sequel to their procedurally generated side-scrolling action game. This was spotted on VG247 after being posted on Friday, but the site clarifies why this has not been formally announced (apologies to them for whatever undesired hype mentioning this provides): "We're now reversing that stance, however. We actually don't particularly want major news coverage about this in advance of it being playable, we decided. Why? We don't want it to be over-hyped, and we don't want to run up against potential skepticism for people who didn't like the first game. We're still in the process of getting the art assets together to where we could really do a true announcement, and so we haven't even contacted any of the press just yet about it." Word is the sequel will be free to owners of the first game, and here's word on what it will involve:

Is this really a sequel?
Make no mistake, Valley 2 is a true sequel -- it's a lot more different from the first game than many sequels are compared to their original. There are a lot of changes I've been wanting to make for a while to the game, but these changes were too deep to do without angering players who bought one game and then had us change it on them to that degree. This way players can keep playing the original in its current state (though we won't be doing much more of anything to update the original game from here on out), and they can also enjoy the awesome sequel for free as well.

And I get this for free if I already have the first game?
Yeah. Basically everyone will be getting both games whenever they buy either one. Kind of like what Zeboyd Games does with Breath of Death 7 and C Saves the World. You get both for the price of one.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

3. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original Oct 1, 2012, 15:17 Flatline

Frijoles wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 15:08:
Dunno how it worked in beta, but there's still some building in release (or there was a month ago). It's more like, "Build a wind farm so you can go over here" .. "Build a farm so you can get more people" .. I never really used it much because it felt a bit tacked on. I like the concept though.

I played it for like 90 minutes when it came out and realized I had really no clue what I was doing, the procedurally generated maps all felt the same or were nigh on impassible, and I was making no real progress in the game (or I thought I wasn't- it wasn't clear because I wasn't sure if there was a goal to the game).

AVWW really ended up being the pin that popped my enthusiasm for indie games. I don't believe any f*cking hype about any indie game now, which is probably a good thing.

The game had a myriad of major, fundamental issues with it, paramount to all I believe is pacing. The game never felt like it was going anywhere. I remember the buildings part of the game. I thought "oh okay I have to gather resources to build stuff for the city to progress through the game". In my 90 minutes or so I built... ZERO buildings. I didn't even collect half the resources to build *one* building.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo