Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security

A post on the Call of Duty Community Website outlines details on PC online security, matchmaking and servers in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Treyarch's upcoming military shooter sequel. Here's a handy summary of key points courtesy of One Of Swords, where there's also a discussion of some of the negative backlash this has inspired:

• All servers are dedicated servers, used for public matchmaking and league play.
  • There will be servers located around the globe.
  • You can’t rent a dedicated server; they’re just free for your use.
  • Anti-cheat is handled via VAC + Treyarch’s own proprietary tech working in tandem.
  • Treyarch has a “full-time dedicated anti-cheat team” to police the servers.
  • Server files will not be made available to the public. Treyarch runs them.
  • Mods will not be supported.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

15. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 30, 2012, 06:25 spindoctor

ASeven wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 16:35:
Simple, because of the precedent made by this and the effect it will have with other control hungry publishers.

Oh okay then. Continue to stay pissed off. It's a good state of mind to be in, especially with regards to an entertainment hobby like gaming.

RailWizard wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 21:11:
So they can kill the servers when it's time for you to buy BO3.

They don't need to run every single server in the world to be able to shut it down at any time. They can always just tell GSPs to pull the servers, even those that are rented out. Put it in the licensing contract on release, give a month's notice to them and users and that's it. Running every server seems like a very expensive way to go about achieving that goal. Also worth pointing out that the COD5 master authentication server is still up, as are Black Ops servers, so it doesn't seem like they're in a hurry to kill off their old games.

I wonder if they actually believe that running the servers themselves will be an effective way to combat hacking, because it sure as hell won't be.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo