Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Amnesia Postmortem - Piracy? "Screw It"

The Frictional Games Blog has a postmortem on Amnesia: Dark Descent, the horror game that was first released a little over two years ago (thanks Joao). They explain why they can only estimate how many copies they've sold at around a million, and how they are still managing to sell about 10,000 copies per month. They estimate the game cost $360K to make, and has since earned ten times that amount, prompting them to offer this perspective on piracy: "It has been over a year since we even thought about piracy. With sales as good as above we cannot really see this as an issue worth more than two lines in this post, so screw it."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

32. Re: Amnesia Postmortem - Piracy? Sep 14, 2012, 09:08 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 04:52:
The truth is that we're seeing publishers taking actions that are drastically changing the face of PC gaming in response to piracy. If piracy were truly irrelevant, they wouldn't bother with these radical changes.

I have to disagree here, I think you make a good point but you're on the wrong track with it. Piracy is just a bogeyman, the real reason is far more mundane. It's all about control, not piracy. They want to be able to sunset this software as they see fit, have a direct hand in the distribution and they want an ongoing revenue stream in the form of DLC content. They want you getting BF4 next year and BF5 the following year, they don't want people playing Desert Combat Free Mod for 2 years. Hell in the case of BF they are scared to death of people even making their own MAPS, let alone mods.

Longevity doesn't mean anything to them if they can't monetize it, they have built these massive organizations filled with marketing types, middle management and etc that require a more consistent cash flow to stay viable.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo