Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has instructions distilled from a reddit post on how Steam users can finally select custom locations for their game installations. This is currently only available in the Steam beta and requires a little configuring, but the post includes instructions on how to opt in to the beta as well as on how to enable this new functionality. Thanks nin.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

18. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 16:11 2nd_floor

Dev wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 14:51:
2nd_floor wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 14:45:
Damn controlling of users!
Thats EA you are confusing valve with. Valve doesn't care too much about that. The reason why its taken so long to get some features and they are super slow about others, is that its just not very interesting for the valve employees to program that stuff in the UI.

EA actually had a good chance to invest a tiny amount of money and come up with a far superior client. They didn't even bother.

Not very interesting? Haha, it's not supposed to be "interesting". They can not be bothered doing it?! Haha, part of their job! What if the government couldn't be bothered building uninteresting road features like signs! It's supposed to be functional and be helpful to users. It causes annoyances each time I install a game. It is something that should be fixed, it is basically a bug! They are deciding how you install the software, where you get it from! Remember "Plug and pray" instead of "Plug and Play", haha. Probably incredibly simple to program in too! 10 lines of code maybe.

How can you say they do not control how people install, organise, buy, patch, discuss games?!?! Steam controls people and software like crazy!! That is what DRM does! It puts limits on how and what people can do with the software or music, movies, etc... (controlling by definition). At least Steam does not require a constant internet connection!

It is much more interesting to try and dominate/control PC gaming and make as much money as possible than it is to provide simple functions for people in the software. This is a pretty standard feature I think (as is a feature to install files to a separate drive, good god, haha), pretty easy to program in, and would solve a lot of frustrations!

It would be like Paypal deciding for you whether you will pay with your bank account instead of Credit card, and when your bank account fails to pay, it then tries your Credit card, haha. But no option to you to choose. (It would be funny if they made it random, so that Steam sometimes downloads files from the web and other times from DVD. Haha. About as useful as it is now.)

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2012, 16:57.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo