Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

15. Re: Ouya is not a scam, but it's not much either. Sep 6, 2012, 10:21 hb3d

Verno wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 09:36:
the lack of any platform software so far. They want to sell a box with a hackable software platform. Laudable but not terribly realistic.
The Android SDK already is platform software and as open source is certainly hackable. The Ouya doesn't need to have any special SDK other than what game developers are already using to build Android games. Ouya will just be another Tegra 3-based target in the Android ecosystem like the ones that already exist. This is not going to be an XBOX, a Playstation, or a Wii which needs proprietary tools despite what your expectations might think.

Publishers are going to run screaming from an open STB, particularly when its installed base is going to be less than 60k and the potential for piracy is massive.
Major publishers like EA already develop games for the Android ecosystem. Gameloft already makes a bunch of console-type racing games and shooters for Android. The Ouya will be no different from that in terms of piracy or anything else.

I just don't see them building all of this in 6 months with 9 million dollars.
I do. It simply won't be what you personally expect. It's going to be a small, cheap Android PC with a targeted website with features Android games like what you can already get at Google Play and Amazon's Android marketplace that isn't fundamentally different than any other Android PC like the Chinese one to which I linked below.

Ouya is probably going to end up being a lot like Bluestacks: just another Android marketplace but instead of a PC emulator customers buy a cheap $100 box to run the games.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2012, 11:33.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo