Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 29, 2012, 09:14 Verno

InBlack wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 05:16:
Here is a recomendation for all of you who consider themselves avid Blue's readers:

"Prince of Nothing" trilogy from R. Scott Bakker. Although these books are disguised as standard fantasy fare they are much, much more. One of the best new authors of SF or Fantasy (I cant decide what category this fall under) I have ever read. Can't recommend it highly enough...

I read the first book after someone recommended it here awhile back. The writing was a bit dense at times, the author seemingly just grabbing his thesaurus to over complicate passages. The characterization wasn't very believable either, Kellhus is probably one of the biggest Mary Sue author fetishisms I've ever seen. I didn't hate it or anything, I thought his take on how we perceive consciousness was pretty refreshing but ultimately it didn't really grab me either. I didn't think the stuff about women was a huge deal, fantasy authors simply can't write women to save their lives. Women have the same problem writing men, Robin Hobb and Sarah Ash for example.

I'm more of a Joe Abercrombie guy, his stuff is very approachable and seems almost simple on the surface but he's good at tying long running plot arcs together without effort. It's a little nihilistic at times but its so readable that you just don't care.

If you're looking for something a little more light hearted then The Lies of Locke Lamora is fun although it can be a bit dark in spots. The sequel is extremely poorly paced and a poor followup overall but the author was having a nervous breakdown or something so I'm trying to keep an open mind for the third book.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo