Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Launches

GuildWars2.com announces the official launch of Guild Wars 2, following a few days of early access to ArenaNet's MMORPG sequel. For those getting underway, this post has links to the game's Online Manual and a tutorial video to help you out. Word is:

Enter the ever-changing fantasy world of Tyria, where you control the story and your actions shape the world around you! With action-oriented combat, deep personal storylines, epic dynamic events, world-class PvP, and no subscription fees, Guild Wars 2 defines the future of online roleplaying games.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

54. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launches Aug 28, 2012, 13:28 Fion

Just wanted to comment to correct the thought that servers are instanced. They are not. When you enter Overflow your not entering another instance on your server, you are entering an entirely different server that 'is' instanced. When you leave, you go back to your own server that does not have instanced zones.

Game is a heck of a lot of fun and while similar to other MMOGs (because it is an MMOG) the game strikes out on its own in several ways. Exploration is an important factor, there are a 'lot' of secret areas you can find in every zone. The crafting is very rich. I do agree that armor and weapon smithing is a bit rough because you need so much copper, but other mats are super easy to get if you buy salvage kits and salvage everything you would otherwise sell (old gear, items that have no use to you, items marked 'salvage item'). The experimentation system is genius. I've made a bunch of items in tailoring that I've sold for quite a bit because nobody else on my server seems to know how to make them. Though this might change once the trading post is working.. as it is global. It is such a well done 'AH' style system that not having it available has stunted the game in a variety of ways.

The combat is heavily inspired by ARPGs with tuns of movement and positioning. Someone said they saw a Veteran slaughter a group of six because they weren't using the dodge mechanic or probably the boon/condition system. Soloing vets requires tact but is entirely possible, but it takes some skill and know how of your class and the games systems. The first zones are usually fairly easy but past that, if you don't learn to dodge and your class to its fullest, you get your ass kicked.

I really highly recommend it. Especially being a single purchase even if you only get a months of fun out of it that is still more than most other games for the same $60.

On a personal note, I'm playing a wide variety of characters. My main however is a Sylvari Elementalist scepter/focus. Playing an Ele is like being Avatar Korra lol. It's fantastic.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2012, 13:36.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo