Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Dark Souls Resolution Hack

NeoGAF has version 0.3 of an "internal rendering resolution fix" for the just-released PC Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition. This mod addresses the PC ports fixed rendering resolution of 1024x720by intercepting the calls to the DirectX 9 API, and this has apparently been a big success for something whipped up so quickly. Thanks games.on.net via VG247.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

38. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 28, 2012, 18:14 Mordecai Walfish

I helped a buddy get this patched up and running well over the weekend, and played a bit too.

Graphics look really good with the patch and some Nvidia control panel tweaks applied.

KB/M is not a good way to play this game, as it was designed around a gamepad. We played with both the PS3 and 360 controller and the 360 was better for this (the PS3 controller usually is best in fighting games and older GTA's.. oh and katamari on the ps2 emu =), delivering excellent response time with vsync on or off (we were using a 120hz monitor so this is probably why)

It's utterly sad that Namco/Bandai could not pull their panties up and give the world a proper PC version of this game, especially when I've seen first hand how easy this is to accomplish. Yes there are some issues with static graphics like logos, but I've only noticed them during the intro.

The game itself runs perfectly well and is quite fun.. which makes it terribly hard to not purchase.. but I just cannot justify supporting companies that would make PC gamers jump through these hurdles just to make their game appear as if it was released in the past 5 years. It is incompetent and I feel they should not be rewarded for this kind of effort, even if the original product was/is really good. I will be happy with playing something on my backlog from steam until it hits bargain bin prices, and maybe create a character over at my buddy's house some night when I lose early in a game of Catan or KingsBurg.

If you want to know the AA bits to enable for antialiasing for Nvidia cards and also Ambient Occlusion, the information is on page 56 of the NeoGaf thread, just be careful to not go overboard with the settings like the poster does, heheh.. truly the "PC Master Race" at work.

I find 4xMSAA and the Skyrim AO settings worked best for a GTX-480... the Fallout 3 AO bits will give you graphical glitches, like the AO effect popping on and off, but it is more pronounced.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo