Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

116. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 15, 2012, 19:56 netnerd85

D-Rock wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 13:15:
While I understand that an event like this that has a political statement that's meant to create awareness, I think it hurts more than it helps. They are making a very clear statement that they are different from the majority and they want to be recognized and treated fairly, but by doing it they are also reiterating that they are different. It puts up an even bigger, thicker wall when they make the statement.
What about Women's groups? It's suppose to be about celebrating differences.

It's ironic that I look on meetup and see plenty of African American groups with common interests -- it's like they're saying "hey, I'm a majority and I want to make everyone aware of it". Yeah, that's helpful -- remind everyone that you're a group that gets singled out by singling yourself out. It's behavior like this that makes the race card a deprecated and ineffective method of getting what you feel is fair. Most people don't take it seriously anymore.
If those that are different felt invited, wanted and not abused in common groups then they wouldn't feel the need to have their own group.

Let's say I'm a white middle class male and I want to start my own meetup group. Let's call it "White Middle Class Male Gamers". How long do you think that group would stay in existence (or would it even be approved as a group in the first place?). Suddenly it's not fair to me -- because I'm a majority I can't exercise my right to free speech and tell everyone how proud I am to be the person I was born as. I seriously doubt I'd be able to (on an 'official' level)congregate with people in my specific demographic that have a common interest without being labeled a hate group. Think about it realistically -- does anyone think something like this would NOT cause enough controversy to be next to impossible to establish or maintain?
You can create any group you want. You are free to do so. You would have some criticism as ALL groups do.

This all brings me to a simple point -- life isn't fair. No matter how hard you try to make it fair, that level of perfection will never be attainable. There are consequences for the choices you make in life, and there are even consequences to who you're born as.
So, let's all just give up? No, fuck that. I'm going to strive for perfection until I find it. Tolerance, peace for all and yada yada yada. It's a dream to reach for, better than humanity tearing it's self apart, wouldn't you say?

While technically I'm not a minority, I've experienced what it's like to be one many times in my life and I know it's not fun. I didn't whine about it, got on with my life, and did the best I could with the resources I had. It's the way I continue to live today and others respect me as a result of it. I respect myself because of those decisions.
Not sure what you are saying here? Sounds like "Get over it and move on". You have no understanding of the issue do you? - that issue being discrimination.

Imagine if every multiplayer game you played had a handicap that balanced things out for all players. How would you feel if you were highly skilled and never got the opportunity to realize the results of them? Would you truly be happy if all you had to do is blindly click to win a game and nevery really learn anything from it?
What are you on about here? It sounds so far off topic.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo