Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 18:26 Mordecai Walfish

nin wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 16:17:
Smartphones & tablets have rendered high-end portables obsolete.

Until they get past touch based controls, I'm going to disagree with you there. But I openly admit I may be in the minority with that opinion...

I agree. I dont consider tapping a glass screen "gaming", whether youre playing a game or not. Tactile feedback and responsiveness to interaction are a cornerstone of gaming to me. I'm not saying the glass screens on some phones/tablets are not responsive, it's just in a different way, and one that is not as suited for proper "gaming" as it is for word games and silly shit like flinging chickens around. (ASTROOO CHICKENNNNN 2000!!)

Bluetooth compatibility with ps3 controllers is very compelling for the Android platform, as that can eliminate this problem, and the PS3 controller is not horribly large or anything. Will be interesting to see if the Ouya will work with a PS3 controller, as well. =)

I think the PS Vita is just a bit overpriced/undersupported, just as the PSP was when it came out.

I finally got a PSP in 2008, after trading a friend of mine a small flatscreen tv for it. It is an original generation PSP 1000 fat and it is the best portable gaming system I've ever used. It just took a bit of "wrangling" to get around the Stupid Sony BS (tm). First there was the proprietary memory cards, which wasnt too much of a problem, because Sony used them in other products they make (the Pro Duo). I made my own with 2 micro SD cards and a converter that cost me a total of $40 for 32GB of memory card, which Sony would have gladly charged me $120+ for. Got some custom firmware on there and now I can play many classic PC games from the 90's with ease (I have Quake and Flashback installed right now-- I've played Quake all the way through on the PSP while I was waiting on a delayed flight out of Minneapolis) but Flashback is one tough motherfucking game I haven't even gotten 1/4 through that yet.

Now, we have a new proprietary format card, one SPECIFIC to the PSP, which they are going to charge even more of a premium for. This is done for service to Retail, yes.. but the reality of the situation is that they should have implemented a downloadable game system, making all of them accessible without driving out to a games store, and letting customers use their existing memory cards, whether it be MicroSD or Pro Duo or whatever. Instead Sony alienates an entire installed base of users who bought their Pro Duo crap for the PSP and now tell them that it is not enough that they paid such a premium on the last generation, but that they expect them to do the same again.
It's just terrible business strategy and seems like it was made with corporate profit as the only real determining factor, while leaving your already-installed user base out to dry, forcing them to re-pay for stuff they already own.. etc.

In times of economic downturn, you want a product that gamers will see value in, not another series of financial hurdles put in front of them just to experience that.

Imagine if the new PSP accepted SD cards, which everyone already owns. Imagine if they let you download new games whenever you want, without paying Retail premiums, say $30 for AAA portable titles. Now imagine also you were able to play the games you had bought from the Playstation store on either your PS3 or original PSP (the ones that are hardware-compatibile, anyway, which is like 99gazillion titles)

In my imagination that is a very successful platform, and one that I would have bought DAY 1, without a hesitation. Sony, in their infinite wisdom, decided it would be better to maximize profit by re-selling all the same crap over again because thats totally what people want. And we see what that led to: Hesitation to adopt, 3rd party pull-out.

The official PR line when they release the stripped down version of the Vita without the cool shit (like the touch panel) is that they were "Over-ambitious" with the Vita originally.. Truth be told; they were just too greedy.

And that they don't realize the sheer amount of profit they could make by having an accessible and compatible platform, in the first place, tells me that the absolute wrong people are steering the ship over there.

I'll probably end up being a late-adopter of the Vita at some point, mainly because of how fucking cool (and functional!) the original PSP is.. but I dont see that being any time in the near (1-2 year) future.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo