Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Looks like the thunderstorms that have battered much of the country lately are still hanging around here today, and I think they are going to derail our plans. I guess that will work out for Hudson the wonder dog, as our presence will make this less miserable for her, though that's not to say she won't be miserable. Oh well.

Homey Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Detective Grimoire.
Deadly Neighbors 2.
Stories: Boyle opts for modesty as London follows Beijing’s lavish opening ceremony in austere times.
Science: Officials: Ebola breaks out in Uganda.
Images: Olympic opening ceremony- Photos from a good time in London.
How Much Does It Cost To Be Batman?
Media: Woah: Heath Ledger's Joker Was Basically Tom Waits.
My Little Pony The Fighting Game! No Really!
Squirrel Olympics 2012.
Follow-up: Dilbert.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2012, 16:52 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 15:42:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 15:25:
So the taxpayer should pay for them making too many SUV's rather than making a Prius? (and no that god awful Volt doesn't count) Here's the thing, when you or I screw up at work, or screwed up growing up, we paid the consequences for it.

This is the main issue with political correctness, there's no such thing as personal responsibility being taught these days.

Government is there to provide infrastructure, roads, police, fire military protection etc. They're not there to hand out bailouts for companies or individuals fucking off.

Unions were necessary 30 years ago, the unions of today that thrive off greed and making political contributions to the DNC are not the same as those working for worker's rights back then. And this is coming from someone in one.

Here's a better analogy: your company builds solar panels, but the main silicon plant is destroyed by a hurricane driving prices up. Your company has to lay off 30% of its workers, and you're one of them. It's the recession, so it will take you a years to get another. By your logic and credo, you're going to refuse government unemployment assistance and welfare, am I correct?

As for making a Prius, only a couple companies in the world at that time were working on hybrids or electrics out of dozens and dozens. GM was hardly in the minority. Ford survived b/c they'd just sold off a bunch of assets and had lots of liquid cash, and they'd just restructured. It was foresight combined with luck.

Unions of the past were much more in control of politics than they were today. Unions back then basically bought and paid for politicians, even selecting who would run. Today things are much less corrupt. Corporations are much more in control which is why the system is rigged so strongly in their favor. Read that article I linked to above. Wages are suffering b/c union influence is waning.

Oh yes alternative energy, another failure that Obama funded with tax payer money that has already failed. Had we authorized more drilling a decade ago, we wouldn't be paying 4-5 bucks a gallon now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo