Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Looks like the thunderstorms that have battered much of the country lately are still hanging around here today, and I think they are going to derail our plans. I guess that will work out for Hudson the wonder dog, as our presence will make this less miserable for her, though that's not to say she won't be miserable. Oh well.

Homey Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Detective Grimoire.
Deadly Neighbors 2.
Stories: Boyle opts for modesty as London follows Beijing’s lavish opening ceremony in austere times.
Science: Officials: Ebola breaks out in Uganda.
Images: Olympic opening ceremony- Photos from a good time in London.
How Much Does It Cost To Be Batman?
Media: Woah: Heath Ledger's Joker Was Basically Tom Waits.
My Little Pony The Fighting Game! No Really!
Squirrel Olympics 2012.
Follow-up: Dilbert.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2012, 14:32 RollinThundr

Beelzebud wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 13:50:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 22:57:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 19:59:
Cutter wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 16:57:
Bailout: An Inside Account of How Washington Abandoned Main Street While Rescuing Wall Street

Just saw a good interview with Neil Barofsky about his book and all the stuff still going on with TARP. The corruption and the sheer volume of theft and how the American tax payer has been screwed - yet again - simply boggles the mind. I'm just surprised more of you aren't snapping and going ballistic when you learn about this stuff. I look forward to giving this a read.

Yeah, TARP and the lack of transparency is shocking. People complain about the GM bailout, but that was small potatoes (billions vs trillions) and much of it has been paid back (and was useful in preserving an iconic American industry that actually makes stuff). Most of the TARP money will never come back, and we'll never know who most of those monies were dispersed to. Also, usually losses are repaid out pennies on the dollar, but for some reason TARP paid 100% of losses, which is unheard of.

Sadly, the financial collapse will result in few or no new laws to prevent a repeat. The financial industry pays off the politicians to prevent it. And the Citizens United decision by the SCOTUS further cements that state of affairs.

On the plus side, at least the LIBOR investigation seems to be going well.

I think the part that always gets me with the GM Bailout, is the major reason GM needed a bail out was their greedy employees in the first place. the auto workers union is a prime example of why unions in the US have way too much clout.

The GM "bailout" happened because no banks were in a position to loan them the money. It's amazing that you call the workers "greedy", considering that GM still uses a complete union work force and is already back to turning profits, and paying down their loan.

That's the right-wing mentality for you though. Call the workers greedy, and advocate a position that would have meant even more jobs lost.

When you're not selling cars and the AWU continues to ask for more more more. Which they did for years. Who does some of the blame fall on? That's great GM's turning a profit, lovely, shame the tax payers won't see a penny of it.

GM paid back some. They didn't pay back everything they borrowed like some liberals will try to tell you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo