Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

3. Re: Game Reviews Jul 28, 2012, 12:01 Quboid

gilly775 wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 09:19:
crypto wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 03:11:
I find this review to be biased. I seriously do not like the 1upt bs that goes from the classic board games like risk where you could combine units onto one tile to make a stronger army. I'm trying to lay siege to a city and I end up with a bunch of units hanging around, turn after turn, waiting to get hit with a catapult. If there is a open tile around the city, why do I have to go around my own people to get there, why no just walk through them? do they not like each other? Because I'm not allowed to combine armies I spent countless resources and precious turns building weak units in mass quantities to take one weak enemy. I guess the best thing about this game was the demo.

Having massive stacks isn't a fun game for most people and it defeated the intent of the game. They didn't want people to have massive stacks of units running around clobbering cities in one round, in much the same way they tried to reduce settler spam (with limited success). Unit stacking was an artifact of design and wasn't supposed to be the defining element of combat.

It got fairly ridiculous in 4, with potentially hundreds of units on a square and the only counter being the easily banned nuclear weapons.

Just once I'd like to see the people who moan about Civ V being dumbed down acknowledge this. Between 1UPT and unit promotions, combat in Civ finally isn't just about giant stacks of doom. Considering what units you need where and how to develop your army to suit the landscape and your preferred style gives Civ V combat more depth than any previous civ.

1UPT has problems, particularly with units moving through others, but it has deepened the game immensely.

Crypto, why do you think the review is biased? You're welcome to your own opinion on 1UPT but there's a difference between disagreeing on a point of opinion and questioning a reviewer's integrity.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo