Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell

"The big problem that is holding back Linux is games. People donít realize how critical games are in driving consumer purchasing behavior," says Valve's Gabe Newell as quoted on AllThingsD. "We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well. Itís a hedging strategy. I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space. I think weíll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people. If thatís true, then it will be good to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality." Thanks VG247.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

160. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 31, 2012, 19:43 Flatline

Verno wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 13:50:
Endo wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 13:08:
With ME it's pretty simple actually. If you bought a new PC that came with ME preloaded you actually had pretty good odds of never having trouble with the OS. But God forbid you try installing it on some other system. In that case you were virtually guaranteed to have no end of trouble.

I don't know, the common advice back then was to downgrade to Windows 98 if you got a PC with ME installed. That's what I did for clients after getting so many Windows ME calls that I could recognize a dozen of its many BSOD dumps. It was notoriously buggy, it had problems both complex (exploitable stack) and simple (large file transfers could literally BSOD it). In addition to be worthless, it's own file restore functionality would continue running frequently after being disabled and so virus authors would dump their code into there. It had severe compatibility problems with many programs. It was just a buggy operating system, a half baked stop-gap that even Microsoft has long regretted.

It's amusing because Vista had many issues but few were anywhere near as severe as Windows ME. Unlike ME, most of Vista's problems were related to drivers. Nvidia and HP were notoriously shitty back then, Nvidia alone caused something 20% of all BSODs Microsoft had projected internally (to be fair though Microsoft often "certified" these). It's a big part of the reason the entire driver model was revisited again for Windows 7.

My first impression of Vista will long be remembered. I was given a laptop to get ready for one of the owners of the company. I turned it on, went through initial setup, and the damn thing BSOD'd on me on the first proper boot up.

Turns out it was the cd burner drivers (which were actually xp drivers but shoved into Vista) but I'll never forget that a new, fresh-out-of-the-box laptop with vista on it blue screened reliably on startup.

That summed up my entire view and experience with Vista. We went back to XP, and I'm retiring the last XP box out of our company tomorrow.

I fully expect to skip Windows 8 too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo