Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The updating timing here has been very inconsistent lately, which I hope to get a better handle on going forward. I have a particular reason to post this evening's news earlier than usual, so hopefully I can use that as a springboard to a new trend.

R.I.P. 'Jeffersons' star Sherman Hemsley dies at 74. Thanks brother19.

Early Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Dibbles: Pro Pack.
Links: Dress Made Out of 50,000 Gummy Bears.
Stories: How the Dark Knight Became Dark Again.
Science: Strange New Fish Found Deep off New Zealand.
Army’s Pixel Camouflage Gets the Boot.
Media: Celebrities Read Mean Tweets.
Conan O'Brien Plays Minecraft.
Follow-up: "The Hobbit" Will Be A Trilogy After All? Thanks scorcese.fan.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2012, 17:10 Agent.X7

jdreyer wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 16:00:
Beamer wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 15:25:

5 billion wasn't designing, 5 billion was total. Not really too surprising, given that they had to make how many uniforms? A lot of that money would have been spent, anyway, even if they'd not bothered looking into new camo.

Still, that seems extremely excessive. Let's assume $1b (!) for design and testing, and $4b for production. The army currently has 560,000 active soldiers but let's use 700,000 to account for rotation in and out of the army over the past few years since the design was implemented. That's about $5700 per soldier for uniforms. A full ACU is less than $100 on Amazon, and I'm sure the army gets a better deal buying in bulk, so I'm wondering where all the money went?

Big Army, man. Big Army. The money gets taken back if they don't spend it and the budget gets lowered, so they spend it anyway they can. They knew from the start that the ACU was shit, but they fielded it anyway. Many, many soldiers in the sandbox have been injured and killed because ACU is a fucking walking target. It doesn't blend with anything. (Except old couch patterns.)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo