Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Path of Exile Stress Test Weekend

The Path of Exile Website announces this weekend will be an open stress test event for the upcoming free-to-play action/RPG. They have a FAQ with all the details on how this will work, and offer the following overview: "The game has added a host of new features and content recently. The latest version adds a challenging Act Two boss fight, weapon swapping, and a new end-game system featuring Maps whose properties, risks and rewards can be modified by players. There is also a new layout for the game’s passive skill tree which features over 1300 skill nodes, allowing highly customized character builds and hybrid classes."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

7. Re: Path of Exile Stress Test Weekend Jul 24, 2012, 14:45 Axis

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 13:44:
I don't mind an online OPTIONAL component, I just don't see a valid reason why it has to be ONLINE ONLY (same as D3, outside of game design).

I see that they are going with a F2P model with Cash Shop which is fine, but I'd rather just pay them $50 and be done with it. If they want to have an optional B.NET like component that is funded by a cash shop (for ongoing maint, etc) that would be awesome and I would support it when I was home and could play smoothly. But I'm just not digging this direction of online only (especially non-MMO) with ARGP's which require smooth control to do well (target, etc). Even on my FIOS connection (and < 100 ms Ping) D3 bounces me around, it's not acceptable. Economies for games are a joke, D3's economy is already dead.

I'll help them load up the server and stress it, check the game out, but I'm not keen on supporting this direction for any game company, there ARE still ARGP's coming out with SP/MP options, they'll need to see some love so things like that will continue.

I hope this game is fun and hope that people who don't care about always on for non-MMO's enjoy it, but doesn't mean that because I won't support it that it is beating a dead horse. I am dissapointed to learn that it's online only.. another ARPG that I probably won't support and there are so few as it is.

The only thing "necessary" to buy imo is the extra inventory space - game is totally NOT p2w - the devs are truly on the ball listening to folks and damn adept at their jobs.

As for the economy, wait till you try PoE. Its the first game I feel will actually have an economy because its based entirely on item and orb trade values - there is no gold.

There's just a ton of things they're doing right, but its not care beary so those who don't have the patience to learn a new system may be put off. There is a TON of shit going on in this game - you'll constantly have those "Oh I wish I knew that!" moments which is a welcome rarity these days.

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo