Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter

This Kickstarter looks to jumpstart development of Defense Grid 2, a sequel to Hidden Path Entertainment's tower defense game. This one has an interesting approach, as there are funding goals to hit along the way. So if they raise $250K, they will create an eight-level expansion for the original Defense Grid; if they raise $500K they will build a new engine for a Defense Grid 2 remake with co-op multiplayer; at $750K they will add a level editor and other platforms; and if the campaign hits the $1M mark, they will be able to create the full sequel of their dreams. Thanks Bob.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

49. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 19:10 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 18:53:
Kickstarter is for letting the public decide what projects get funded and which ones don't. Plain and simple.

Except this is a fucking sequel. If nobody bought the first game, nobody will buy the second game. If the first game sold well (and a sequel is justified), where's the money???

You're making a lot of assumptions about where the money went in the case of the first game, and how much of the work done on the first game is able to be used on a sequel. Since apparently they're having to go to a new engine for the sequel, I can see where their trepidation is, especially if they had a fair amount of loans taken out to finance the production of the first game.

That being said, in the case of traditional publishers, yes - the sequel wouldn't be made simply due to doubts about gaining a return on investment. But I thought that was the sort of consideration that people here hated?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo