Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 5, 2012, 15:04 eunichron

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 13:47:
Gruntstein wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 13:41:
eunichron wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 13:22:
That's a joke right? The comparison between a $60 console/PC game and a $2 iOS game is... well, there is no way to compare them, they're not even the same target market or audience. That might be the dumbest statement anyone has ever made, even rivaling Pachter.

You took that statement too literally. He's not saying that every game needs to be dirt cheap. He's saying that there meeds to be more flexibility in pricing on the mext gen consoles if they're to compete with Apple at the low end of the market. He also said that the current pricing model ($60 games) isn't sustainable. His assumption that digital distribution will bring prices down is naive, but his observations are fairly sane.

Except that a $2 iPhone game is no issue for almost anyone to download over the airwaves. A $60 PS3 game weighing in at 14GB? It takes forever, and not everyone has the net connection to get it. In the area aroud my store, only the actual town gets high speed internet. All of the surrounding areas get dial-up. It's about half the population of this area. I;m guessing we are not an isolated case, so making games download only seriously undermines your player base.

Not to mention the increased development costs of a multi-platform AAA title. Take for example MW3 (we can argue about the justification for its $60 price tag based on content, but that's not the point), there's a development team nearly 100 people whose salaries you have to pay, QA teams salaries, development for three separate platforms (Xbox, PS3, PC), ongoing support via patches, DLC, official servers to run, and of course marketing costs. With digital distribution the saved costs in physical media are overtaken by server and bandwidth costs and administration (remember back in 2003 we all thought that Steam would mean lower game prices, but it became pretty apparent that maintaining the systems was just as expensive as preparing game boxes and media for retail sales).

An iOS game might have a development team of a handful of people, usually indie. QA is easier because you're dealing with a single, uniform, system. Marketing is usually by word of mouth, or just on the AppStore itself.

That entire quotation on the relationship between mobile and console games is just completely ridiculous, and makes absolutely no sense.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo