Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

M.U.L.E. Homage Kickstarter

This Kickstarter campaign seeks to raise funds to develop Alpha Colony, an upcoming strategy game that is a licensed homage to M.U.L.E., the seminal multiplayer strategy game from 1983 designed by the late Danielle (née Dan) Bunten. Here's word:

M.U.L.E. is making its long-awaited comeback to tablets, smartphones, and desktops everywhere. With a license granted by and partnership with Dan Bunten's family, DreamQuest Games aims to raise funds by July 15th to bring a modern update of M.U.L.E. to life. The original Atari 400/800 game allowed up to four players to simultaneously select an alien race, outfit robotic workers called MULEs, and take turns producing, managing, and trading resources on the planet Irata.

Boulder, Colorado - One of the most respected video games of all-time, M.U.L.E. is making its long-awaited comeback to tablets, smartphones, and desktops everywhere. A family-friendly economic video game similar to SimCity or Civilization, 'Alpha Colony: A Tribute to M.U.L.E.' will deliver a modern sequel to this classic game and strive to fulfill the original developer's ambition.

With a license granted by and partnership with Dan Bunten's family as well as special access to previously unseen designs, DreamQuest Games aims to raise $500,000 by July 15th to bring a modern update of M.U.L.E. to life. As an added bonus, DreamQuest is also partnering with 'M.U.L.E. Returns' to deliver a faithful reproduction of the original game on iOS and Android mobile devices enabling supporters to enjoy both the classic original and a modern tribute to M.U.L.E.

M.U.L.E. was originally developed in 1983 by Dan Bunten and his company Ozark Softscape. It was the first major hit game published by a young upstart at the time, Electronic Arts. The original Atari 400/800 game allowed up to four players to simultaneously select an alien race, outfit robotic workers called MULEs, and take turns producing, managing, and trading resources on the planet Irata.

"M.U.L.E. is a landmark in the history of video games worthy of a modern 3D sequel for mobile players," relates Christopher Williamson, Creative Director at DreamQuest Games. "Computer Gaming World named M.U.L.E. as #3 of the "Best Games of All Time." M.U.L.E. was also named #5 of the "Ten Greatest PC Games Ever" by PC World in 2009.

"We look forward to seeing our dad's legacy continue," shares Melanie Bunten, the oldest of Dan Bunten's three children.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

6. Re: M.U.L.E. Homage Kickstarter Jun 19, 2012, 14:49 Dev

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 13:13:
I'd love to see a new take on M.U.L.E. but while this is getting a PC version, it seems very focused on mobile first which really saps a lot of my interest. I think half a million bucks is very ambitious for a nostalgia project but we'll see.
The mobile version is the exact original MULE game. The PC version is the redesigned one. Thats why the different releases, they are different games. My guess is they figure that someone who want to play the exact original mule game on PC can find and use the original game itself, but it needs a few changes to use a touchpad.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo