Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Civilization V: Gods & Kings Diary

A new video developer's diary for Civilization V: Gods & Kings shows off Firaxis' upcoming turn-based strategy expansion, offering a new behind-the-scenes diary to show off the project before its release tomorrow. The clip features producer Dennis Shirk and lead designer Ed Beach "as they take a deeper dive into the rebuilt game systems in Gods & Kings, including the new religion, espionage, combat, and naval systems."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

7. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Diary Jun 18, 2012, 21:09 Yosemite Sam

Crustacean Soup wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 15:30:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 14:38:
the management system is far to simplified, the game sucks.
Just curious: what's simplified that you don't like? They got rid of health and per-city happyness, but per-empire happyness and building maintenance lead to an interesting juggling act. Are you referring to that, or something else?

What I dont like is pretty much the entire game from the top down is simplified. The complexity of Civ4 is what keeps me going back for yet another game. You say the juggling act between happy and cash is interesting, its so simple a ten year old could understand it. Getting your shit together in Civ4 on the other hand is far more complex and that to me is interesting.

I'm curious about this as well because the happiness stuff can get insane very quickly. You go to war and you don't have a ton of happiness you'll find yourself getting screwed once your empire is really unhappy. -33% to combat strength and suddenly that slight advantage is gone and your only chance is to stand on defense until you can settle those cities down.

How does it get insane quickly? Theres nothing to it, unhappy people stops growth which in turn stops people from becoming unhappy, its unbelievably simple. Being at war doesnt even effect happiness, unlike civ4, and settle what citys down? Its global, simple. Now in Civ4 you get in a protracted war and shit really starts to hit the fan, your citys start to go to pieces and that dominoes throughout your whole empire.

What Civ5 did right. Hex grid. GFX. City expansion, IE how it uses tiles. The combat system (except the AI is retarded which makes it a wash) Id really like to get rid of the stacks of doom, but at least its more challenging then the mental AI in Civ5. Everything else about Civ5 is a major step backwards, for simplicity, in an attempt at a larger audience... which I really dont see, people who want a simple no thinking game arnt going to play Civ regardless of how easy it is.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo