Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire

Analyst Michael Pachter tweets about yesterday's NPD figures, revealing sales of Max Payne 3 are less than half of those of L.A. Noire for the same period: "Without divulging too much NPD goodness, I can tell you that Max Payne 3 sales were less than 50% of L.A. Noire's. 8 years in development!" Thanks Strategy Informer.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

36. Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Jun 15, 2012, 17:45 Flatline

Verno wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 15:51:
One thing I found really frustrating is that they didn't seem to know how to challenge the player so they just put you in a lot of unfair situations. I remember a cutscene where they made me sit motionless outside of cover while enemies spread out around me then had the nerve to swap me to a pistol instead of the massive assault rifle I had going into it. Just dumb shit like that makes you wonder where these gameplay decisions come from, I almost can't believe anyone played it and said "this is great!".

I agree with Flatline, when its good the game is fun but too often its interrupted by a staggering amount of largely unskippable cutscenes and the poorly balanced scenarios they drop you into. It feels more like they were going for Die Hard The Game here instead of Max Payne but maybe that's just because its a different dev.

Anyways, got it on sale so no regrets and it's certainly not a bad game but damn, I can't believe some of the obvious problems they let through.

Oh dude yeah... The pistol swapping thing was infuriating. I re-mapped the thumb button on my mouse to "equip 2-handed weapon" simply because I was sick of having to scroll for it after EVERY goddamn cutscene.

Or how about you see a golden gun bit off in the distance, or painkillers, and you wait to finish the gunfight before you go run out into the open to pick up sh*t. You kill the last dude and it dumps you straight into a cutscene, so you can't even pick up any ammo! I was dumped into some fights with like 12 bullets left because they cut-scene'd me without a chance to pick up some ammo.

Or how about you go pick up an assault rifle, hit a cut scene, and Max like sets it down and walks away... No dumb shit... I want you to carry the fucking thing. That's why I picked it up!!!!

Plus, there was one instance where the bad guys fanned out and started shooting, and between the end of the cut scene and when I actually gained control of Max, I was shot dead. I rage-quit the game at that point for several days.

And you're right, it is like they wanted to make Die Hard: The Game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo