Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator

An article on Blend Games contains a video they say demonstrates that item duping was possible in Diablo III before a hotfix addressed this. All the clip demonstrated for me is my inability to understand foreign languages, but this post explains how this took advantage of the game's checkpoint system to craft items at the cost of no resources, hopefully a moot point now that its fixed. They use this incident to once again question the game's inconvenient always-on DRM. They also discuss how Blizzard is handling account rollbacks in cases where accounts are compromised, taking issue with Battle.net account security as the launch of the real-money auction house for the action/RPG sequel nears. Speaking of which, this post (thanks nin via Kotaku) notes that Blizzard has changed the terms of service for Diablo III to require the use of their authenticator for real-money transactions:

Starting today, in order to add to your Battle.net Balance, players will be required to have a Battle.net Authenticator or Battle.net Mobile Authenticator attached to their Battle.net account. For clarity, this means you’ll need to have an Authenticator to add to your balance via Battle.net Account Management or to send the proceeds of your real-money auction house sales to your Battle.net Balance.

Please note that players who previously added Battle.net Balance to their account prior to this change will be able to use it to make eligible purchases on Battle.net and in the auction house without attaching an Authenticator. However, an Authenticator will be required to add to your balance in the future, as explained above.

While we understand that this creates an extra step for players during the login process, we believe this added layer of account protection will help foster a safer auction house environment for all of our players.

You can learn more about the Battle.net Authenticator, Battle.net Mobile Authenticator, and other account security information by clicking here.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

116. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 11:49 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 11:37:
The thing is that if the loot tables were a bit more interesting I don't think people would be so impatient. You found tons of interesting items all the time in Diablo 2, everything from uniques to low level set items and so on. They really failed in that regard with this game, the heavy focus on main stat/vit is incredibly boring and the lack of unique loot makes everything feel homogenous. The gameplay is solid but not so amazing that it can stand on its own without diverse loot tables.

So I mean while I see where the "JUST HAVE FUN AND CHILLAX" crowd is coming from, people obviously want different things from the game and D3 doesn't cater to those interests as well as its predecessor did.

But don't you think it's in their self interest to make the game enjoyable long term? From reading interviews with the creators if you read between the lines it sounds like they were so concerned with balance they missed the fun part of the items. Now that they are aware of it, I don't see why they wouldn't go in and do it.

How long that takes, I'm not sure, but I am sure of this - they are going to make it (more) fun because that will make them more money, which is fine by me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo