Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dark Souls PC Port Issues

There are various quotes on Eurogamer where From Software explains the difficulty they are having porting Dark Souls to PCs. "To be completely honest, we're having a tough time doing it due to our lack of experience and knowledge in terms of porting to PC. First we thought it would be a breeze, but it's turned out not to be the case. We're still developing right now - we're crunching right now," says producer Daisuke Uchiyama. "In Japan there's not much of a PC market and we haven't really taken into consideration that audience before. That's one of the reasons why we haven't been able to step up on the PC platform until now." He also admits that they are not including any PC optimizations, and have not been able to overcome the framerate issues the console versions exhibited in some areas. "In terms of the PC version, the quick answer is no, [we won't be fixing the frame rate problems]. Because we wanted to get the PC version out as soon as possible, it's more strictly a port from the console version. We haven't been able to step up into doing any specific optimisation for PC," he says. "However, in exchange for that, we have prioritised adding new content for both original players and new players."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

53. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 20:39 Jerykk

JediPunisher wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 20:30:
So, the PC gets sloppy seconds again... Does it really surprise anyone?
I've found that it's usually best to play console games on a console, and PC games (what few there are) on a PC.

Speaking of PC games, in a recent E3 interview, Crytek promised to win back PC gamers by really pushing the limit this time with Crysis 3.
Good news, since Crysis 2 suffered from a bad case of consolitis, complete with DX9 graphics (although a disappointing DX11 patch was released months later).

I've never really understood this logic. Even a mediocre port will look and run better on PC than on console. It's the same core game, only with an enhanced presentation. Why would you ever choose to play the game on console..? The only reason to do that would be if the port was so utterly horrible that it actually looked and played worse on PC, which almost never happens.

Also, Crysis 2 PC + DX11 patch + high-res texture pack >>>>>>> console Crysis 2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo