Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced

The Bethesda Blog announces the DOOM 3 BFG Edition, a bundle of DOOM games for release this year on PCs and consoles. This trailer shows off the project, and here's what they say: "DOOM 3 BFG Edition is the ultimate collection of groundbreaking games that defined the first person shooter. It includes DOOM, DOOM 2, DOOM 3, and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, as well as the ‘Lost Mission.’ All DOOM 3 content has been re-mastered for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in stunning 3D for an even more terrifying FPS experience." Nowhere is a Windows edition mentioned, but there is a PC-DVD version among the packages shown at the end.

<

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

87. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced Jun 1, 2012, 11:39 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 10:41:
I think you and many others compare it to Doom 2 or the late levels of the original rather than the entire first game. Doom was slower, it had a lot of monster closets, plodding pace, light used to scare you or make you fumble about. I have played episode 1 of Doom like 30 times and I consider Doom 3's early portions a very representative remake of it.

Doom 3 is the third iteration and nowhere in the preview material back then did I hear them mention wanting to get back to the root of early Doom 1 gameplay. I don't really consider Doom 1 to be anywhere near as slow as Doom 3 was in terms of gameplay either. If people are ignoring gameplay representation from Doom 1 then that means you're ignoring the same thing from Doom/Doom 2 so I don't really think it matters anyway. People were really disappointed with Doom 3 and I just listed some reasons why (there are others), it's rarely mentioned in anything but a moderate or negative connotation on most gaming forums I've seen.

I think I would have liked Doom 3 more if they had tried to get away from toeing the line and just gone all out with a linear, plotted title. There are definitely signs they had that ambition but it didn't really go anywhere. That or just make a strictly traditional experience with graphical updates and a few new weapons. The in between approach simply didn't work that well and while it had high sales, I'd argue it was largely on the back of the previous games.

Incidentally Rage suffers from similar problems. It apes many modern features and takes inspiration from other games but never really goes anywhere with them. Everything is rudimentary or implemented in a "safe" way so that they don't stray too far from their roots. I think its an id problem in general, they've never been able to decide if they're going to fully embrace newer gameplay design/mechanics or not.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo